Last night saw another successful event for Invicta Fighting Championship in Kansas with 2 titles on the line and various other interesting match ups on the card.
Michelle Waterson picked up the Invicta FC Atomweight Championship after a real back and forth fight in the main event. Waterson pulled off the somewhat upset victory with an impressive armbar in the 4th round after nearly being finished by the same technique late in the 3rd and it was plain for all to see quite how much it meant to her afterwards.
Barb Honchak defeated Vanessa Porto to become the promotions first ever Flyweight Champion. Honchak used superior striking to work her way to a unanimous decision victory although it would be fair to say the fight wasn’t exactly the highlight of the night as neither fighter really pushed the pace.
The return of Cris ‘Cyborg’ Santos was as one sided an affair as many assumed it was going to be. Cyborg came out striking straight away and delivered what can only be described as a beating to Fiona Muxlow. However Muxlow was not for quitting and hung in there as long as she could before Big John McCarthy stepped in having seen enough. Cyborg went out to prove a point and she did just that setting up a shot at Marloes Coenen’s Featherweight belt which will likely take place at Invicta FC 6 in the summer.
In the grudge match of the evening Rowdy Bec Hyatt defeated Austrian Jasminka Cive via a 1st round armbar. Plenty of words had been exchanged between these 2 beforehand including the incredibly tense face to face interview during the week. Hyatt came out aggressively as expected before securing the takedown and working into full mount where she delivered some solid ground and pound for most of the round before forcing the tap from Cive with the armbar. A girl with the nickname Rowdy finishing by 1st round armbar, we have seen that somewhere before havn’t we?
Yet again Invicta prove that they can consistently deliver a great product and anyone out there who still refuses to watch WMMA is only doing themselves a disservice and missing out on some great action. If you didn’t manage to watch it live you can still buy the PPV through Ustream if you are so inclined and watch all the fights including the prelims. Check below for the full results.
- Michelle Waterson def. Jessica Penne via submission (armbar) – Round 4, 2:31 – to win atomweight title
- Barb Honchak def. Vanessa Porto via unanimous decision (50-45, 49-46, 48-47) – to win inaugural flyweight title
- Cristiane Santos def. Fiona Muxlow vs. TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:46
- Sarah Kaufman def. Leslie Smith via split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
- Jennifer Maia def. Zoila Frausto Gurgel via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Lauren Taylor def. Kaitlin Young via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Julia Budd def. Mollie Estes via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 3, 1:04
- Bec Hyatt def. Jasminka Cive via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 3:30
- Simona Soukupova def. Cassie Rodish via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 2, 3:20
- Miriam Nakamoto def. Jessamyn Duke via KO (knee) – Round 1, 2:20
- Katja Kankaanpaa def. Juliana Carnerio Lima via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Rose Namajunas def. Katrina Catron via submission (flying armbar) – Round 1, 0:12
- Alexandra Chambers def. Jodie Esquibel via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 1:35