Whether that’s lopsided matchmaking (which is possible seeing as this card had a grand total of one tournament bout), good/bad luck or just a sign of a game roster, I’m not sure.
Our main event saw a close fought contest between Marcin Held and Dave Jansen in the finals of the season seven Lightweight tournament. Held took the first frame despite surprisingly being willing to trade on the feet but Jansen came back as the young Pole faded to take the second and third rounds and a unanimous decision victory.
Jansen now moves forward to face Lightweight champion Michael Chandler later in the year.
The rest of the main card action took a grand total of 3 minutes and 23 seconds, most of them in the scrap between Marcus Davis as Waachiim Spiritwolf which ended when Davis accidentally tooled Spiritwolf in the nuts and he was unable to continue.
This led to some nasty boos from the Maine crowd, who were evidently pro-Davis, which I thought were totally uncalled for. Lets be honest, I’d rather be straight knocked out in highlight reel fashion than receive a nut shot that left me unable to stand for five full minutes. Have a heart, you savages.
The other main card bout saw Ryan Martinez somewhat surprisingly walk through Travis Wiuff in only eighteen seconds. Maybe my comment in the preview about the mileage n Wiuff’s tank was on the money after all…
On the undercard, I was happy to see Britain’s Michael Page get a KO win on his Bellator debut, putting local fighter Ryan Sanders to sleep in only ten seconds.
Page is going to be a huge star and I would be very interested in seeing him in Bellator’s next Welterweight tournament.
• Dave Jansen def. Marcin Held via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28) – Season 7 lightweight tournament final
• Ryan Martinez def. Travis Wiuff via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 0:18
Marcus Davis vs. Waachiim Spiritwolf declared a no contest due to inadvertent low blow – Round 1, 3:05
• Dave Vitkay def. Jesse Peterson via technical submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 0:18
• Michael Page def. Ryan Sanders via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 0:10
• Jason Butcher def. Jack Hermansson via submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:24
• Mike Mucitelli def. Brett Dillingham via submission (armbar) – Round 1, 2:48
• Joe Pacheco def. Pierry Pierre via submission (Americana) – Round 1, 1:54
• Vince Murdock def. John Raio via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:01
• Jon Lemke def. Jesse Erickson via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:50